There’s no doubting the uncertainty that’s hanging in the air with the world’s current state of affairs. And while there’s been talk for a long old time about the future of work being remote, it would appear the future is upon us much sooner than anyone could have predicted.
A huge wave of businesses and workers are being forcefully made to work remote – and to be honest – I feel like this isn’t the worst side effect of the coronavirus.
With how suddenly this has all come about though, there are thousands of people scrambling in a confused manner to digitize their company communications, assets and much more. This my friends, means that the saying:
‘Selling is Service’
Is much more relevant and important than ever before. It’d be easy to feel like continuing to market and sell your VA or freelance services might come off as ‘sleazy’ or ‘ inappropriate’ but I’m here to give you four MASSIVE reasons that it’s absolutely not.
Here are my DON’Ts for marketing and selling right now:
- Don’t go about things like it’s business as usual. Not addressing the coronavirus situation will feel like a huge omission of reality. Tap into the pulse of what’s going on. Your clients and potential clients will be feeling on edge, how can you make them feel less so?
- Don’t use fear or scarcity tactics in this fragile time. You can be assertive in your offers only from a place of integrity and honesty. There ARE going to be people who cannot afford to spend right now, don’t encourage unnecessary spending when you know for fact that it’s going to put additional strain on them. This should stand regardless of the situation, but I feel it needs highlighting right now.
- Do not make any false claims on COVID-19 facts, opinions or anything that may stir the pot, nor claim that any of your work in any of its forms will help in any way to alleviate the current crisis.
- Do not use this as an opportunity to hike your prices up. Simple as that.
Additional services to consider offering at this time
While it would be absolutely irresponsible of me to not address the fact that ALL of us, no matter the industry or profession, will be impacted to a degree right now, us online biz owners are again in a unique position where we are able to play with our offers and sources of income a lot. I’m not saying to make a full on pivot, not at all, but here are two additional income stream types that might make sense for you to explore:
There are going to be a lot of companies, and even governmental offices, who need assistance right now. While they may not have a budget for ongoing support, they may want someone who knows the ins and outs on, for example, communication tools for working remotely, to come in and do a live tutorial or consultation with their team to get them ready for remote. Topics you could provide consulting on:
- Communication tools
- Digitizing assets
- Security when working remote
- Productivity when working remote
- General administrative tasks moved to online tools
- Invoicing, billing, payroll done remotely
- And many more….make a quick list yourself based on your skillset.
In the same way that many organizations may not wish to hire for ongoing help, digital products in the form of a short course, ebook, training series or else covering topics like the above would be a fantastic low-cost way for people to get the information they need to keep running their show seamlessly and lining your pockets with some extra, well deserved, dollar bills.
Let me reiterate, now, more than ever, your knowledge is necessary. Show up, be of service and remember that:
SELLING IS SERVICE.
Just in the beginning stages of your VA career? Or ready to get some new insights and clarity amid the current global crisis? I’m running our famous FREE 5 Day Va Challenge on March 23rd. Get signed up here.